8 Allergy Friendly Sports Snacks (Besides Fresh Fruit)
Updated: Sep 19
None of my kids have any known allergies or food sensitivities. So, when I saw that there were players on my son's baseball team with a multitude of dietary requirements, I was a bit nervous. While I do read labels when I make purchases it is more of skim than a critical scour. Just basically checking how many grams of sugar, whether there are any preservatives etc. But I knew when it was my turn to bring the after-game snack, I needed to be very informed and intentional in my choices. I started researching as soon as I put my name down three weeks before our game date, and I thought it would be helpful to others if I shared what I found. (Of course, fresh fruit like oranges, apple slices and bananas are great snacks after a workout, but sometimes there just isn't time for washing and cutting produce.)
**Disclaimer** I am not a medical professional. I have no professional training as a nutritionist. Always consult your own health care providers in choosing food for children with allergies. Always read the labels of purchases you make. Read the ingredient labels on any of the linked products online before purchase AND when the item is received. Please note that ingredients can change at any time. These recommendations were chosen solely by me. DM may receive a commission from purchases made from Amazon links at no cost to the reader.
My son's t-ball team has children who do not eat gluten, dairy, soy, or soybean oil. In addition, I try to steer clear of nuts as well. That is not to say there are no other allergies. Egg and Sesame can be common allergies as well. Always check if there are ANY food intolerances or allergies on your team.
The following snacks are gluten, dairy, soy, soybean oil and nut free.
1. Popcorners- Sea Salt. Popcorners are a gluten free snack. The Sea Salt flavor only has three ingredients: corn, sunflower oil, and sea salt. Remember a cheese flavor would add dairy.
2. Skinny Pop- Another three ingredient snack: popcorn, sunflower oil, and salt. Skinny Pop has a VEGAN white cheddar option as well!!
3. This Saves Lives Bars. These bars do contain quite a few ingredients, but they are advertised as "school safe" being gluten free, nut free and dairy free. I did not see any soy ingredients listed at the time of this article.
4. These Made Good Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are also labeled "school safe" being wheat, gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free. There are no eggs or sesame either.
5. I personally love these That's It Mini Fruit Bars. There are three different flavors, each with only 2 ingredients each: apple mango, apple blueberry and apple strawberry.
6. Applesauce pouches are another easy snack for kids to eat after a game, and they are allergy friendly containing only apple and lemon.
7. Fruit snacks are not as healthy as the above two fruit containing snacks since they contain added sugar, but they are fairly low sugar as far as treats go. And, every snack compilation needs a treat right?
7. Another treat that might work if its not too hot, (we don't want any melted chocolate on those white baseball pants,) are Sunflower Butter Cups which claim to be top 12 allergen free.
8. Finally, DeeBee's Organics Superfruit Freezer Pops are another fun choice. I personally have had a hard time finding popsicles that are 100% fruit juice. Often, frozen treats have a great deal of sugar. There are three flavors, strawberry lemon, mango orange, and blueberry pomegranate. My kids are particularly fond of Mango Orange. According to the company these contain no trace of peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy or wheat.
So, what snack combo did we recently provide to the little t-ballers? We gave out popcorners, apple sauce pouches and fruit snacks packages together in addition to the freezer pops which we brought in an ice chest. Of course, if you know me, we included a wet wipe. You may want to notice parents of the hand wipe just to make sure none of the kids have a sensitivity.
Whatever sport your kids may be participating in, I hope they are having a happy and healthy experience - learning and growing while having fun! Don't forget to check out my Sports Moms Must Haves.